Entrepreneurial-spirited executive strategic leader, technologist and engineer for a fortune 500 in the Industrial Automation, Smart Building & Internet of Things domain. Over 20 years expertise in cybersecurity IT & OT program development, security by design, secure software development lifecycle,
A powerful blend of cybersecurity vision and business acumen that results in consistent delivery of cost-effective high performance business strategies and customer oriented value propositions. A proven track record of identifying, qualifying and building consensus for enabling product solutions and services that facilitate business critical processes and strategic commercial offerings.
Global Director of Global Product Security at Johnson Controls. Responsible and accountable for building and accelerating from new, a product cybersecurity engineering & product cybersecurity innovation Center of Excellence. Also responsible and accountable for building from new an OT professional services organization. The personal objective is driving incremental business value and improved customer experience for a $30B+ multi-national company.
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 120,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities.
- Industry Domains
- Industry 4.0
- Operational Technology
- Industrial Control Security
- Smart Buildings
- Smart Manufacturing
- Smart Factory
- Industrial Automation
- Internet of Things
- Product Cybersecurity
- Enterprise IT
EMBA, Ph.D., M.Sc., B.Sc.
Publications include Academic Peer Reviewed Journals, Whitepapers and LinkedIn Articles.
- W. M. Fitzgerald:F&B CEO's - Cybersecure Digital Transformation a Top Priority!, LinkedIn, August 2019.
- W. M. Fitzgerald:Internet of Cybersecure Medical Things - What is your Product Cybersecurity Maturity Level?, LinkedIn, March 2019.
- W. M. Fitzgerald: ICS Firewall Configuration, LinkedIn, July 2018.
- W. M. Fitzgerald: Industrial IoT Threat Modelling: On the Importance of Understanding Threat Tree Limitations, LinkedIn, June 2018.
- W. M. Fitzgerald: Smart Building Cyber Security Management Best Practice, LinkedIn, September 2017.
- R. Brennan, Z. Etizoni, K. Feeney, D. O'Sullivan W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley: Consumer Managed Federated Homes, IEEE Communications Magazine, 52(6): 194-201, 2014.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. Tabet: Automated Security Management of the 3rd Platform and Next Generation Data Centers using SPECS, EU FP7 SPECS project workshop, CSA SecureCloud, Amsterdam, April 2014.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, U. Neville, S. N. Foley: MASON: Mobile Autonomic Security for Network Access Controls, Journal of Information Security and Applications (JISA), Elsevier, Volume 18, Issue 1, 2013.
- F. Turkmen, S. N. Foley, B. O’Sullivan, W. M. Fitzgerald, T. Hadzic, S. Basagiannis, M. Boubekeur: Explanations and Relaxations for Policy Conflicts in Physical Access Control, IEEE 25th International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI), Washington D.C, USA, November 2013.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley: Avoiding Inconsistencies in the Security Content Automation Protocol, IEEE 6th Symposium on Security Analytics and Automation (SafeConfig), Washington D.C., USA, October 2013.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, F. Turkmen, S. N. Foley, B. O'Sullivan: Anomaly Analysis for Physical Access Control Security Configuration, 7th International Conference on Risks & Security of Internet and Systems (CRiSIS), Cork, Ireland, October 2012.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, U. Neville, S. N. Foley: Automated Smartphone Security Configuration , 5th International Workshop on Autonomous and Spontaneous Security (SETOP), ESORICS, Pisa, Italy, September 2012.
- S. N. Foley, W. M. Fitzgerald: Decentralized Semantic Threat Graphs, 26th Annual IFIP WG 11.3 Working Conference on Data and Applications Security (DBSec), Institut Mines-Télécom, Paris, France, July 2012.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley: Reasoning about the Security Configuration of SAN Switch Fabrics, 4th Symposium on Configuration Analytics and Automation (SafeConfig), Arlington, VA, USA, October 2011.
- S. N. Foley, W. M. Fitzgerald, Wayne MacAdams: Federated Autonomic Network Access Control, 4th Symposium on Configuration Analytics and Automation (SafeConfig), Arlington, VA, USA, October 2011.
- S. N. Foley, W. M. Fitzgerald: Management of Security Policy Configuration using a Semantic Threat Graph Approach, Journal of Computer Security (JCS), IOS Press, Volume 19, Number 3, 2011.
- R. Brennan, Z. Etzioni, J. Keeney, K. Feeney, D. O'Sullivan, W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley, Federated Autonomic Management of HAN Services, 12th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, Dublin, Ireland, May 2011.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley: Aligning Semantic Web Applications with Network Access Controls, Computer Standards & Interfaces, Volume 33, Issue 1, Elsevier, January 2011.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley: Management of Heterogeneous Security Access Control Configuration using an Ontology Engineering Approach, 3rd ACM Workshop on Assurable & Usable Security Configuration (SafeConfig), Chicago, USA, October 2010.
- William M. Fitzgerald: An Ontology Engineering Approach to Network Access Control Configuration, Doctor of Computer Science, University College Cork, 2010.
- S. N. Foley, W. M. Fitzgerald: An Approach to Security Policy Configuration using Semantic Threat Graphs, 23rd Annual IFIP WG 11.3 Working Conference on Data and Applications Security (DBSec), Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, July 2009.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley, M. Ó Foghlú: Network Access Control Configuration Management using Semantic Web Techniques, Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology, Vol. 41, No. 2, May 2009.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley, M. Ó Foghlú: Network Access Control Interoperation using Semantic Web Techniques, 6th International Workshop on Security in Information Systems (WOSIS), Barcelona, Spain, June 2008.
- S. N. Foley, W. M. Fitzgerald: Semantic Web and Firewall Alignment, First International Workshop on Secure Semantic Web (SSW), IEEE CS Press, Cancun, Mexico, April 2008.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, S. N. Foley, M. Ó Foghlú: Confident Firewall Policy Configuration Management using Description Logic, 12th Nordic Workshop on Secure IT Systems, Short Paper, Reykjavik, Iceland, October 2007.
- S. N. Foley, W. M. Fitzgerald, S. Bistarelli, B. O'Sullivan, M. Ó Foghlú: Principles of Secure Network Configuration: Towards a Formal Basis for Self-Configuration, Springer LNCS, 6th IEEE International Workshop on IP Operations and Management, Volume 4268/2006, ISBN 978-3-540-47701-3, October 2006.
- J. Clarke, Z. Dooley, W. M. Fitzgerald:SecurIST: Security & Dependability to Empower the Citizen in the 21st Century, 15th IST Mobile Summit, Myconos, Greece, June 2006.
- J. Clarke, Z. Dooley, W. M. Fitzgerald: SecurIST: The Application Security Initiative, IST Africa Conference, Pretoria, South Africa, May 2006.
- Z. Dooley, W. M. Fitzgerald, J. Clarke: SecurIST: Ensuring Secure, Dependable & Resiliant European ICT Technologies to Empower the Citizen, Protect Critical Infrastructure & Provide Economic Growth, Euro-Atlantic Symposium on Critical Information Infrastructure Assurance, Switzerland, March 2006.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, K. Doolin, F. Mahon, C. Hauser, A. Gomez-Skarmeta, S. Butler, P. Schlosser, B. Weyl: Daidalos Security Framework for Mobile Service, eChallenges, Ljubljana, Slovenia, October 2005.
- W. M. Fitzgerald, J. Clarke: SecurIST: Co-ordinating the development of a Strategic Research Agenda for Security and Dependability R&D , 39th IEEE International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology, Las Palmas de G.C., Spain, October 2005.
- J. Clarke, W. M. Fitzgerald: SecurIST: Co-ordinating the development of a Strategic Research Agenda for Security and Dependability R&D , Information Security Solutions Europe, ISSE, Budapest, Hungary, September 2005.
- William M. Fitzgerald: Performance Analysis of Host Based Routing, Master of Computer Science, National University of Ireland Maynooth, 2002.
- M. G. George, W. M. Fitzgerald, J. Doody: An Approach for Network Forwarding Systems Quality, Information Technology and Telecommunications (IT& T), Athlone, Ireland, pp 103-111, ISSN 1649 - 1246, September 2001.